Grasshopper Beta is now available

Hi Grasshopper community,

The Grasshopper team has been working hard over the past year to completely rebuild the app from the ground up. We’re almost there, and we invite you to beta test the new version!

To Join Grasshopper Beta on Android:

1. Navigate to the Grasshopper Play Store page

2. Scroll until you find the section titled ‘Join the beta’:

1. Install the new version and enjoy!
    • It will take a few minutes for your account to join the Beta.
    • After joining, press the green ‘Update’ button at the top of the Play Store page to install the Beta version.

To Join Grasshopper Beta on iOS:

1. Open this TestFlight link on your mobile phone
  2. Follow the download instructions
  3. Install the new version and enjoy!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I know if I have the Beta version installed?

When you open the new app, the Grasshopper logo will say ‘Grasshopper Beta’:

Q: I joined the Beta, but I don’t seem to have the Beta version of the app?

A: Sometimes it takes a little while for an account to join the Beta. Once you’ve successfully joined the Beta program, the app will either update automatically, or you will need to manually download the latest update through the Play Store. To update manually, select the green ‘Update’ button at the top of the Grasshopper Play Store page .

Q: I’ve found an issue or I have feedback on the new version of Grasshopper. How should I report it?

To report issues or send feedback to the team, please open the app’s menu and select Send Feedback.

Q: Does this new version work on Android 13?

A: Yes! The old version of Grasshopper did not work properly on Android 13, but this new version should fix the issue. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.

Q: Help! I updated to the new version and seem to have lost my progress!

A: We’re so sorry to hear that! Since the new version is in beta, there is a risk of major issues like this coming up. We know what an inconvenience this is, so during this Beta phase, we’ve added a new feature to allow you to unlock progress directly in the app. Simply go to the Settings page in the Menu and enable Puzzle Unlocking. This will let you long-press on any step in a course to unlock it. We encourage you to only use this feature to restore lost progress– no cheating! :slight_smile:

Q: What is the difference between the old app and this new version?

A: If all has gone well, then there should be very little difference between the old app and the new app. However, there are a couple of differences at the moment:

• Course certificates can now be found as the last step in every course.
  • The Practice Course is not currently present.
  • Levels, badges, and Grasshopper gear have not been added.
    • However, your points and coding streaks are still there.
  • The Grasshopper Playground has not been added.

Q: Does Grasshopper Beta work with the web version of Grasshopper?

A: The web version of Grasshopper has not been updated, and any progress made in the web version will not reflect in the mobile version of Grasshopper Beta. Similarly, any progress made on Grasshopper Beta on your phone will not be reflected in the web version of Grasshopper. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q: Why did you rebuild Grasshopper from the ground up?

A: Grasshopper started in Area 120, an internal startup incubator at Google. When Grasshopper moved from Area 120 into Google, the team had to update the app’s technology to function with Google’s internal systems. This new version of Grasshopper was built using Flutter, a framework that allows anybody to build web and mobile applications from a single codebase. Now that the app has been rebuilt, we can go back to releasing app updates and improvements.

1 Like