Draw multiple boxes

Hello,

I want to draw multiple boxes using the Drawboxes()function and the pickrandom()function.

When i run the code, it gives me an error saying ”for single box use Drawbox()”

But when i try to run it again after two consecutive times it displays the output which 5 random boxes.

I have attached the copy of the code.

Is my syntax wrong?? If yes what is the correct one?

Thank You…

1 Like

Yes, you need to add Drawbox() because then it will work if you don’t add it than you will just keep getting it wrong so try Drawbox().
Hope I helped!!
Faith ^-^

1 Like

But with Drawbox() i can draw only one box of random color.

I want to draw multiple boxes in a single command using Drawboxes().

1 Like

Well try with one Drawbox() and see what happeneds
Faith :+1:t4:

1 Like

In your screenshot, is that all of the code or is there more underneath?

Sorry forgot to add screenshots in last post

Ok. So i tried it with drawbox() as suggested.

Please have a look at the screenshots. I have labelled them as code-1,2 and 3.

Code-1

i use drawbox() in this code and the output is one box. If i want another box i have to add one more drawbox(). If i want to draw multiple boxes i have to add multiple drawbox()

Code-2

I use the drawboxes() function here to draw multiple boxes. But it gives me an error.

Code-3

I just run the code from Code-2 multiple times and it gives me the output as shown in the screenshot…is my desired output.

My question is why does it show error first…and when i run the same code again and again it shows desired output?

TIA

2 Likes

Thats the full code nothing underneath. I have posted the screenshots again.

1 Like

I think the drawboxes() usually runs with letters to tell it what color to do:

drawboxes(rgrg)

I think that would do a red box, a green box, a red box, and another green box.

1 Like

This link will give you the list of colors & their abbreviations in grasshopper:List of Colors for Coding in Grasshopper

yes… i too think that the drawbox() and drawboxes() use different formats as argument and thus the error in Code-2.

But what about the output in Code-3, it gives the desired outcome… without any error.

1 Like

That is kind of weird code-2 and code-3 are the same so it shouldn’t say error on code-2, did you recheck the codes? Maybe you did something wrong, recheck code-2 then look at code-3 and see if you did something wrong.
Hope that helps!! (* ^ ω ^)
Faith

1 Like

Actually, If you want it to pickRandom different colors, you need to use several drawbox(pickRandom(color)):

drawbox(pickRandom(color));
drawbox(pickRandom(color));

1 Like

I did check. I know both codes are same, but they give different outputs. May be a bug with GH interpreter.

Thank you for the support the though.

1 Like

Yes, that seems to be the only way.

Also i just realized that functions like pickrandom() and Drawbox() are actually created by GH to help us learn the concepts easily. So there might be a bug.

Anyways thank you for the support.

2 Likes

I went to the code playground-glossary-drawboxes().It said: Draws a square for each letter provided. Each letter corresponds to a color. For instance, 'b' is for 'blue' and 'o' is for 'orange'. A space moves the boxes onto a new line.

1 Like